Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Endurance Mountain Biker: Lauri Brandt

Laurie Brandt is a 3-time Colorado State Mountain Bike Champion for Professional Women, a Colorado State Cyclocross Champion, and 4-time winner of the Leadville Trail 100.  Her course record for the 100-mile Leadville race still stands after 12 years.  From 1992 to 1996, she raced full time on the professional cross country mountain bike circuit, where she was ranked as high as 10th in the World Cup series and was in the top 10 NORBA (National Off-Road Bicycle Association) National ranking all 5 years of her full time career.  In 1995 Shaklee began to sponsor Laurie as part of Team Shaklee, she was the only mountain biker on their cycling roster and she was part of Shaklee’s Top Performers program.  In 1997 and 1998, Laurie continued to race in Colorado, her home state, as she transitioned to her career as a professional geologist.  “I wasn’t done racing when I needed to move on with my professional career, so I continued to race on the regional level.  Some of the best and most challenging races in the country are right here in Colorado.”  She won the State Championship and the Leadville Trail 100 in those two years.

In 2009, Laurie competed in the Growler endurance mountain race in Gunnison, the Leadville Silver Rush 50 mile race, and the Leadville Trail 100 mile race.  She also rode in the Bicycle Tour of Colorado, a 500+ mile ride in 6 days and numerous century (100 mile) rides.  “Training for and competing in races is the best way to stay in shape,” Laurie comments.  “I love the challenges that racing offers and I like seeing what I can do.  I also want my daughters to see me doing something physical that I enjoy and that takes a work ethic to achieve.”  Getting enough sleep and eating the right foods and supplements are essential to achieving those goals.  “I can’t imagine trying to do what I’m doing without the support of Shaklee products.  My girls and I use the Energizing Soy Protein every day, for example, and it gives us high quality protein without meat products and fat.”

Will Laurie Brandt ever call it quits? According to the 47-year-old, “It’s never over ’til it’s over.”

Laurie's favorite Shaklee products are:

No comments:

Post a Comment